- I want to learn how to better use English in a concise manner, so that a lot of information is given in as few words as possible. I tend to be very repetitive in my writing. Mainly, I reiterate my words because I try to give as much clarity as possible...but saying things twenty different ways is probably more unhelpful than had I said it one way the first time. I also like to describe things...there are so many different ways to state something, and sometimes I just don't know what is the best way to communicate a certain idea.
- I want to discover how creative I can be while maintaining the attention and comprehension of my audience. Now, I do not claim to be creative...that's part of what I mean. I want to learn, or just continue to acquire the knack for how to throw in unique, witty things at the appropriate time and in the right situation.
- Introducing and summarizing paragraphs is not a strength of mine. Another weakness is titling papers. This somewhat ties into what I was saying about creativity. I don't want my writing to be bland and predictable; I want to add some character as I open and close a topic, but I want to be confident in knowing that I haven't gone over the top.
"In literature it is our business to give people the thing that will make them say, 'Oh yes, I know what you mean'. It is never to tell them something they don't know, but something they know and hadn't thought of saying. It must be something they recognize."
[Robert Frost]
[Robert Frost]
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Course Goals
What are some things that I, personally, wish to accomplish through this course?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment