"In literature it is our business to give people the thing that will make them say, 'Oh yes, I know what you mean'. It is never to tell them something they don't know, but something they know and hadn't thought of saying. It must be something they recognize."
[Robert Frost]

Friday, November 7, 2008

Initiating Action Proposal

The purpose for my Initiating Action Project will be to further inform my audience about the Islamic community. The issue that I see that I am trying to address is that people don't know very much about Islam. My audience will be the Virginia Tech student body, which will be a change from the audience to whom I've geared my previous projects.

My project will be in the form of a website (though it will not actually be online), flyers, and possibly a letter as well. I will use the flyers to catch people's attention and direct students on campus to my website where they can learn more about Muslims and Islam.

On the website, I will include:
  • Several paragraphs of educational information about Islam
  • Links to websites that I have found to be helpful and informative about Muslims and their faith
  • A page of faith testimonials about Islam by Muslims?
  • A link to and information about the Muslim Student Association on the Virginia Tech campus
  • A link to and information about the MOSAIC theme housing community
  • A page discussing my personal experiences in the Middle East
  • A page calling for intercultural awareness, specifically on the VT campus
    • An appeal to Tech leadership to have some sort of (free) event geared towards raising awareness of cultures outside of the USA (not only Islamic communities, but other religions/cultures) -whether that be in the form of guest speakers or special events, ...etc. (This is where my letter might come in.)
  • Pictures and graphics related to the Middle East
  • A page with my contact information
  • A page citing my sources

*Upon taking GOOD advice from Professor Grete, I'm only doing a website. Not a bad idea at all.

2 comments:

grete said...

Angie,

Why don't you stick with creating the website pages (this seems to involve a lot of writing in itself) and if you have time at the end, add the flyers and/or letter? I think the website is a great idea, but you have your work cut out for you there.

Angie said...

Okay, that sounds fine! I'll put the flyers/letter on the back burner.