"In literature it is our business to give people the thing that will make them say, 'Oh yes, I know what you mean'. It is never to tell them something they don't know, but something they know and hadn't thought of saying. It must be something they recognize."
[Robert Frost]

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Persuasively Informative Website

The genre I have chosen for my Initiating Action Project is that of a (persuasive and expository) website.
By the way:
Expository
writing is defined as:
seeking "to inform, explain, clarify, define or instruct."
Persuasive writing "intends to convince the reader of a stated opinion or belief."
We're all familiar with these definitions.

Some questions about my website genre from Professor Grete....

What are the conventions of your genre, and how much/what kind of freedom do you have within your genre?
There are really no stipulations on what a website should be; there aren't many standards to measure up to. Every website you go to on the Internet is proof that one website doesn't have to look the same as another or accomplish the same purpose. So, I have quite a bit of freedom with how I set up and organize all aspects of this project. I can make it purple and pink, or black and white; crazy, or sophisticated. (A great example is the very blog your reading right now - I designated what I wanted it to look like. It was a flexible process, and all about my preference. ...Selfish much?)
So yes, anyone can create a website that looks like anything and accomplishes any purpose ...but a successful website has to live up to certain standards of organization, efficiency, clarity, etc. It needs to appeal to the intended audience (just as traditional media does) so that it can achieve its goal.

Who writes in your genre, and for what purposes? Everyone writes through the Internet! The entire world is moving to the Internet to get things done, and by "things," I mean EVERYTHING. In our steadily globalizing society, the Internet is recognized to be one of the most effective means of initiating action, spreading information, entertaining, publicizing, shopping, networking, teaching, ....this list could grow very large! From teenagers to business men, everyone uses the world wide web to express themselves. Websites are a very effective genre.



Sources:
"Expository Writing" http://www.thewritingsite.org/resources/genre/expository.asp
"Persuasive Writing" http://www.thewritingsite.org/resources/genre/persuasive.asp
"Uses of the Internet" http://english.unitecnology.ac.nz/resources/resources/tutorial/conceptual/uses.html
"How Fast is the Internet Growing?" http://www.savetz.com/yic/YIC01FI_12.html

No comments: