"In literature it is our business to give people the thing that will make them say, 'Oh yes, I know what you mean'. It is never to tell them something they don't know, but something they know and hadn't thought of saying. It must be something they recognize."
[Robert Frost]

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Assessment Criteria for the Persuasively Informative Essay

In a good essay, an author should:
  • Write about a relevant topic
  • Keep the reader's attention
  • State facts and citations to support his ideas/argument
  • Express trustworthiness, sincerity, and reliability to the reader
  • Write an essay that possesses clarity in persuasiveness and informativeness
  • Write a story that the audience would be able to relate to
  • Include his readers on his process of discovery that led him to write on the topic
  • Always be thorough
  • Initiate action and be a catalyst for change in the lives of his readers
  • Efficiently do something with the text

3 comments:

abel said...

I like how you bold-ed the keywords in your criteria. Those words by themselves do a pretty good job of describing an essay.

Rae Kennedy said...

I really like the idea you mentioned about the "process of discovery." I think that would make the essay a lot more relatable to the reader if they can see where your idea came from.

Angie said...

Well, I'm glad the list was helpful! :)