"In literature it is our business to give people the thing that will make them say, 'Oh yes, I know what you mean'. It is never to tell them something they don't know, but something they know and hadn't thought of saying. It must be something they recognize."
[Robert Frost]

Friday, October 17, 2008

Purpose and Audience

The purpose of my essay will be to persuade my readers of the relevance and importance of becoming more familiar with the Islamic community. The tone of my essay will not be very entertaining, as we talked about in class, but most certainly informative. I consider this subject more serious than lighthearted, so I don't think my audience would appreciate a humorous satire about Islam. My audience most likely already knows how they feel about Muslims, so my goal is to change how many of them view this faith group. I intend to incorporate logos as well as pathos in my writing to help convince my audience of my perspective.
I'm honestly still mulling over my intended audience. Originally, my audience was 1. people who have never heard of or have little knowledge about the topic, and 2. people who know inaccurate facts about the topic. That's all well and good, but that is a really broad audience. Though that list still applies, I want to narrow it down. I talked to Professor Grete about it today in class and, as always, she was really helpful and gave me some great things to think about. I have a better idea of how I want to structure my essay now since I'm changing the way I'm viewing my possible readers. I think that as I contemplate my "Shitty First Draft" over the weekend my plans about what readers I am gearing my essay toward will continue to evolve, and I will have a good plan of action by the time I write my first draft.

Have a great weekend! I'm off to North Carolina for the next two days!

No comments: