What makes an essay an essay? What separates it from poetry, articles, and short stories? What qualities stand up from the page on which they were sitting and inform us that we are, indeed, reading an essay?
It seems that essays are whatever all other structured types of writing aren't. It is writing without regulation. Essays are whatever the writer decides they are. There is no power dictating standards and stipulations. Anarchy on paper..?
I've never viewed essays in this light. I very much related to the author who referenced essays as something adults dread, remembering them as the endless writing and reading assignments we were given when we were younger. We were instructed to write on specific topics within certain guidelines and deadlines...but essays should be much more natural than what they were to us then.
I think, most of all, the essay needs to be heartfelt, genuine, and relaxed like a casual coffee conversation. Essays should flow out of our mouths and into our ears with ease. I need to be sure to pay attention to this foundation of the essay. Sometimes I can be too forceful in my writing; I tell myself that if I exert enough effort, I can force something into being a good essay. The evolution of essays takes grace, patience, and time. I don't want to hurriedly express myself, I want to leisurely savor every sentence as I direct my reader's attention to where my pen is about to press. I aim to capture my reader's attention, I want to present them with something that they can relate to and understand better due to my input and perspective.
Furthermore, my audience should sense that I care about my topic and that parts of who I am have been intertwined into the heart of that matter. I want my passion to be contagious so that I might possibly inspire someone to tilt their heads and think about what I mean.
I'm not sure what role imagination has with the type of essay I am working on, but I will wait and see how the incorporation of a little creativity evolves... this part of my essay goals may likely be abandoned.
Another part of my essay that I need to improve on is exploring opposing viewpoints so that my writing can be well-rounded. Maybe this calls for a few last-minute interviews of random people on my hall? We'll see.
There is much work to be done!
"In literature it is our business to give people the thing that will make them say, 'Oh yes, I know what you mean'. It is never to tell them something they don't know, but something they know and hadn't thought of saying. It must be something they recognize."
[Robert Frost]
[Robert Frost]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment